Tuesday, March 11, 2014

WHY?!?!?!?!

Because I want my children and grandchildren to live in a better world than the one I was given, and I want better people to live in it.

So what does that have to do with walking and bitcoin?  In my twisted little head, a lot.

Berkely Breathed's Bloom County
I am about to turn 46.  Possibly mid-life crisis time.  Possibly disillusionment.  Possibly frustration.  Possibly all of the above.

I am in an idealist in a selfish, self-absorbed, and narcissistic society.  I fell in that gap in between the Boomers and GenX and am neither one.  My formative years were framed by the moon landing and Star Trek on one side, assassinations and Watergate on the other.

Such promise and potential wasted.  Instead we got Disco, Miami Vice and a culture of excesses that we continue to pay for.  Even worse, some of the worst aspects and attitudes from that era live on.

And the talk.  So much talking that nothing gets done.  The 60s had the protests and the marches and what did we get?  Occupy.  Well-intentioned, but fundamentally flawed and a let-down beyond measure.

I'm jaded.  I know I am.  In year after year of war after war, of propaganda that masquerades as news, of watching person after person choose personal advantage over higher ideals, I am just sick to death of it.

I want to believe again.

Let's put aside the wonderful technologies and possibilities of the Bitcoin protocols and what bitcoins can do for the world.  Instead, look at the people.  The people involved in bitcoin are making things happen.  Are reaching out to each other in incredible ways.  They are producing new ways of thinking, of caring, of business.

So I want to walk.  I want to spend time with myself, but also meet many people who whether they know it or not, whether they will ever know it are shaping the future and bestowing hope.

This journey for me represents a bridge.  A bridge between what was and what should have been, and what could, can, and should be.  It is a rite of passage that leaves the old where it should remain and gives birth to the new from its ashes.

You, the reader, and you the bitcoin community show me hope.

So I want to walk toward that future where my children and theirs will have that better world.

That's why.




No comments:

Post a Comment