Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 1 Plan

There is one major challenge in the first few days of the journey:  Camp Pendleton.  My military ID expired about twenty years ago, and even if it was current I am sure I wouldn't be allowed to walk through it.  I-5 runs through it, but walking on the I-5 is illegal, and it would take at least 3 days to walk around the base.  The only option there is to catch a ride through.  It seems like a cheat on the walk, but I can't see any other option.  The same problem will present itself crossing the Columbia river from Oregon to Washington, but that is later.

Because of Camp Pendleton I have thought about starting on the north side of the Camp in San Clemente.  That does circumvent the problem, but it completely cuts off San Diego and I am not sure I am willing to do that.  Given that, what better place to start the journey than the border?

Fifteen miles from the border leaves off near downtown San Diego's Gaslamp District.  A quick google search shows several hostels in the area, so there are good prospects for that night.

Looks like a good start.


No comments:

Post a Comment