Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 6 plan

Back to the 15 mile a day format, but decision to be made.

As you can see from the Google Map, the going is good, but there isn't much lodging available right in that area.  I am hoping that the Los Angeles area Bitcoin Community can help me out there with information about hostels or other options.

Camping is out of the question through this part of the trip.  I can only imagine what the law enforcement in LA would have to say about me camping in the 'good' areas, and I am too fond of my skin to try and camp in the 'bad' ones.  That means a hard roof and a door.

Also at this point is a choice in routes between Los Angeles and San Francisco.  I can shadow the I-5 through Bakersfield and Fresno, then back west to San Francisco (477 miles), or instead go up the coast through Oxnard, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Cruz (489 miles).

I'm not sure that even though the inland I-5 route is shorter that it will be any easier.  The 'grapevine' route rises in elevation and that alone will slow me down a bit.  Also, the more populated the area, the more expensive it will be.

On the other hand, the coastal route will have its ups and downs, but be more level for longer (close to sea level), cheaper accommodations where camping is available, but smaller communities where I am assuming the thought of Bitcoin will be less pleasing to the merchants I will need to purchase from.  The more populated beach communities will be more tourist oriented, and the motels available will be more expensive.

This is not a casual decision, either.  The distance between LA and SF will be about 30 days of the walk.  Roughly a third of the total mileage.  Back tracking and going the other way won't be possible.

Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment