Monday, March 10, 2014

Developments

This weekend has been full of contradictions and was completely normal.  I walked, but I didn't.  New things in the world of bitcoin and people are still the same.  Things didn't happen and did.

Living in the Pacific Northwest one expects rain.  What one doesn't expect is the pressure changes.  It's usually subtle enough that most people don't notice it.  If you pay attention to the moods of those around you though, it becomes obvious.  This was zombie weekend.  Very little got accomplished and eevryone was moving veeeeery... veeeeery... slooooooly....

Including myself.  On such days it is very easy to sit in front of the computer.  And I did.  I wrote emails, continued to evaluate the route, found out about Gyft and Pounce (more on these later), and since my sons were talking about it and the expansion coming out, I played Diablo III.  Bad move on my part.  Recreational, yes.  Productive?  No.

The costs of the trip have gone down a little bit thanks to gyft.com now accepting bitcoin.  Many things that I thought were going to have to be purchased from REI can now be purchased from Target.  That brings the prep and equipment costs down to $1,500 instead of $5,000.  Coinbase just announced a relationship with the Pounce app, with which one can purportedly scan and purchase directly off ads and circulars.  Lord and Taylors is specifically listed, but the 'and other major retailers' is what interests me.  I'll have to wait and see.  Since I'll be waiting for an android version of the app anyway, I'm not stressing about it too much.

The major concern is still lodging.  Because of that I am leaning toward the coastal route instead of the inland route.  It is about 20 miles longer than the inland route, but the scenery will probably be better (important on a 30 day walk) and there will be less time in between towns, although the towns will be smaller.

Beyond that, I am keeping up with the changes in the world of bitcoin.  Every now and then I think about the fact that in a year's time when I am pulling together everything and getting ready to depart things could be completely different than they are now.  The best that I can do is plan now with what exists and adapt for different - and hopefully better - conditions when they occur.




No comments:

Post a Comment