Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Walk is ON!

So this is it.  A little over a year from now I will be starting a new adventure:  Walking from San Diego to Seattle using only Bitcoin instead of US Currency.

I have been wanting to do a walk like this for a very long time, and consider this training for a coast-to-coast walk in a few years.  The scenery flies by when you drive a route, and the miles go by quickly.  Walking gives you the chance to see and appreciate more.  It means that you meet new people, and are hopefully enriched from the experience.

I have been following several walkers for a few years, most especially Nate Damm.  If you get the chance, follow the blog of his trip, read his book, or watch his Claremont TED talk here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zy3ixLKIUU

When I first mentioned my desire to walk across the country to my best friend, he put a label to the experience I am seeking that I had not yet thought of:  pilgrimage.

I have served this country in the military and I have deeply studied its history, but I have seen very little of it outside of flying or driving.  I not only want to see it, but to experience it.  I want to meet the people and encounter the best in them.  I need to know not what we think and say we are, but what we actually are.  I want to have faith in not only what we are, but what we could and should be.  To know that regardless of any distinction of party, belief, faith, or ancestry, that we have greatness within us if we would only reach for it.

How does Bitcoin factor in to this?  The Bitcoin enthusiasts will understand, I think.  Bitcoin is a kind of new frontier.  It levels the playing ground a bit, or at the very least makes the financial frontier a little more fair.  It is new frontiers and new possibilities, and I am sure that we have only scratched its surface.

Just like exploring America and its people, I want to meet and encourage the people who are and will continue to make the future of Bitcoin possible.

What a wonderful adventure this will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment