Thursday, March 6, 2014

Walking is free, man

I told some people on an exchange chat room about the walk today.  There wasn't much feedback, but then I didn't expect much.  The group that frequent this site are mostly traders and miners.  What little social commentary is posted is usually the utopian, 'won't it be great once everyone is using Bitcoin and fiat currency is a thing of the past' variety.

One comment from a guy on the forum that I like and tend to respect was, "Walking is free, man."

Well, it is.  Kind of.  If my goal was simply to walk this blog wouldn't be here and I wouldn't expect anyone to care about it.

I have my personal reasons and goals for the walk.  I am upfront about that.

When it comes to Bitcoin, or any alternative currency, it isn't worth much if it isn't used.  There have to be people spending it, AND the businesses that take it.

With bank services, that is an easy thing.  The bank hires sales people to push its new merchant services.  They convince business owners to use those services, and the fees make the bank money.  That is how credit and debit card services became widespread and why different companies compete for the lowest fees.

Now there are companies like Coinbase and Bitpay that are doing that, and the more businesses they convince, the more bitcoin gets exchanged, driving the value up.  For the most part though, the word isn't going to be spread by salesmen out to make money for the bank.  The word is going to be spread by you and me.

Most of the people in the mainstream don't know what Bitcoin is, and most of the information out there lately has been doom and gloom, MtGox, 'Bitcoin=terrorism and crime' type of misinformation that we expect from the press.

I want to change that.  Sitting here blogging will only convince the converted.  If a nice, friendly guy comes walking in from the highway talking about Bitcoin and asking to use it comes in, that may change a few minds, and more people may use it.  If a bunch of friendly people get together for the purpose of promoting Bitcoin, that changes the image.

I love to walk and want to do long distances.  I love Bitcoin and its future and want to promote it.  The two go together in this.  I'm backing my belief with action.  Putting my money where my mouth is... or would that be Bitcoin where my feet are?

I'm asking others to help and support this project because I believe in it enough to walk over 1,500 miles.  I hope others believe in it enough to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment