Thursday, March 6, 2014

Coins

I just submitted the walk as a project to bitcoinstarter.com.  Hopefully it will get approved soon.

The primary thought I have had about doing the walk as 'Bitcoin only' is that if that is going to be true, then all of the equipment should be purchased with Bitcoin or I am cheating.  I will be promoting the use of Bitcoin after all, so how can I be walking in shoes that were purchased with dollars?

A future post will have a list of equipment and supplies I will need, as well as projected road expenses, but my rough estimates say that I will need a minimum of 15 Bitcoins for the trip, and that may be underestimating.

For instance, most people would think of needing a tent and sleeping bag, or shoes.  Trail food makes sense.  What many would not think of is a cart.  Nearly every account I have read from people who have done long distance or cross country walks say that a cart saves stress on ankles, knees, and back.  They allow you to carry much more in terms of supplies (think of how much water weighs and how long it can be between stops) more easily.  I have seen everything from converted baby strollers to custom carts made for such ventures.

Now factor in the Bitcoin purchase.  Egifter.com now takes Bitcoins, which is a huge boon for the walk, and one of the gift cards it carries is REI, so I can purchase REI giftcards with Bitcoin and then spend those to get geared up for the trip.  Perfect.  Or is it?  Certainly REI carries much of what I will need.  On the other hand, REI prices are not as low as Walmart.  That is one factor that increases the costs involved.

Another is the location I will be walking.  My plans as of now consist of taking the Pacific Coast Highway, either Route 1 or Route 101 primarily from San Diego to Aberdeen, and over to Seattle after that.  There will be long stretches of Forest and parks, but the vast majority of the route is populated or heavily patrolled.  Pulling off to the side of the road and pitching a tent out of sight may not be an option.  I want to do this in as low-cost way as possible, but hostels, motels, and state campgrounds cost and they most liekly will not be able to take Bitcoin.  All of this adds time, expense, and stress.

So the bottom line is that need to fund raise.  Or Bitcoin raise, in this case.

Yes, please donate.  The help will certainly be appreciated.

13F4HKnwqX7Y93yetr7YrkyypxFVbNPMrt




No comments:

Post a Comment