Friday, March 28, 2014

"No one can walk 1500 miles!"

As conversations go, there are days when the walk comes up a lot, and days when it doesn't come up at all.  And then there are the days like today when I am on the phone talking about the walk and talking to local businesses about taking bitcoin.

I got a lot of skeptical looks, which is to be expected.  One man stopped short of calling me a liar and looked at me like I was crazy.  And then there was that one lady.  "No one can walk 1500 miles!"

Well yes, actually.  People can, and many, many have walked farther.

I can understand completely that most people haven't heard of the Peace Pilgrim, Nate Damm, Peter Jenkins, or the hundreds (I think) of others who have walked from coast to coast.

What I can't understand is that people have no conception of travel before cars, or apparently that they think that travel didn't happen before cars.

I can only be amazed.  And not in a good way.




No comments:

Post a Comment